Thursday, December 17, 2009

Switzerland



I have not been blogging as much as I intended on my vacation...and for a good reason. I've been too busy enjoying life and haven't been on the computer much.

I just got back from a fantastic time in Switzerland with my friends Zac and Stef Fischer. We all did our TESOL (Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages) training in Montana summer of 2008 together. Zac and I were in a teaching group together and we had some great times together, and a lot of laughs. I don't think I've laughed as hard as I did that month...between the random, sarcastic banter that all in our teaching group are adept at, to randomness of other students, and bizarre skits. So, when they heard I was going to be in Europe they invited me to Switzerland.

My time in Scotland has been a break, but it's also been a time for processing, prayer, seeking advice, debriefing, and just letting the noise in my head and spirit quiet down so I could hear the voice of God and hear myself breathe. Switzerland was a time to put soul-searching in the shelf and appreciate friendship and the beauty of God's creation.







And find beauty, I did! Zac and Stef just welcomed me into their every day lives as well as showing me some of the highlights the country has to offer as far as views and landscapes and good food. From sunsets over the Alps to the lakes that are so blue it looks like the sky fell into them and is just puddled there between the majestic mountains, it took my breath away and restored my soul. I have a love affair with mountains that began when I moved to Colorado and I think will remain an addiction until I die. (still asking God why I am living in a DESERT!)



I was also introduced to Raclette, a fun Swiss specialty. You melt cheese in small trays in the little oven on the middle of the table, cook your veggies and meat on top, and then put it all over potatoes! It was delicious and an interactive, community way of sharing a meal together. If you ever make it to Switzerland, I highly recommend it.



So a huge thank you to my hosts and friends the Fischers! I'm so thankful our paths crossed for a crazy month in Montana and that our friendship continues. The more I get to know you, the more I love and appreciate who you are. God has put his great heart for the nations in you and I know that he will impact many lives through you. He has given you talent and passion and fun that is a blessing to all you interact with. Thanks for welcoming me into your lives and generously blessing me! Let's meet again on this little globe sometime soon.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

ABSOLUTELY GORGEOUS!! Love seeing the pictures. The mountains are breathtaking. So glad you were able to have some time there.

Leslie said...

I'm with you on the beauty of Switzerland. Of all the countries I've visited, Switzerland takes first place for just plain stunning beauty- raw and in-your-face.

Ahh!