Thursday, February 03, 2011

New Year Hotpot

新年快樂!!
Happy Chinese New Year everyone!

This year was my first year celebrating Chinese New Year. If I wanted, I could celebrate the New Year three times this year: the traditional Jan 1 new year, Chinese New Year (Feb. 3), and the Afghan New Year on March 21. That's just a whole lot of newness and fresh starts!


One thing that is a regular part of the celebrations here in Taiwan is what is called hotpot. Basically, it's just a bunch of vegetables and meat thrown into a pot and cooked. There are some special sauces you eat with it and it's Oh-so-good! A friend of mine who did the SBS with me invited myself and some other friends from church to have hotpot together. So, here's some photos to get you in on the action (which is a step towards one of my new years resolutions: take more photos!)

You start with a little bit of these....various forms of pork, fish, crab, tofu, along with some veggies


And you cook it together in a pot.....voila, hotpot!


The thing that after living now five years in Asia (!!) that I so appreciate, is much of life is done to encourage community and friendship. Things are done so that the whole group can be a part of it. I'm still a western individualist at heart, but I'm enjoying community to its fullest. I'm so thankful for the friendships in my life here:

me and Zoie...we both did SBS together and lived together


Friends from California, Panama and Taiwan (respectively). Wendy and I also did the SBS and lived together last year.


A good friend and now fellow staff, Charis.

No comments: