Monday, November 05, 2007

Pictures from the memorial


James sat beside me in the car. The box contained his remaining ashes that we were putting at camp. The picture was his last school picture taken. It's probably my all-time favorite because he looks so handsome in it...like a young man!


We stopped to get cheetos on the way to camp. James' first time going to camp him and mom stopped at a gas station and she let him get whatever he wanted as a treat. He chose cheetos and by the time he arrived at camp he was orange head to toe!


We chose the spot to plant the apple tree and Jeremy and William (my other two handsome brothers) started digging.


Grandpa and Mike put the tree in the ground.



The hard part...we put James' remaining ashes in with the tree. I thought it was a powerful symbol of beauty truly coming from the ashes. Isaiah 61:1ff. says, "He has sent me to bind up the brokenhearted...to comfort all who mourn, and provide for those who grieve in Zion--to bestow on them a crown of beauty instead of ashes, the oil of gladness instead of mourning, and a garment of praise instead of a spirit of despair. They will be called oaks of righteousness, a planting of the Lord for the display of his splendor." How fitting. How beautiful that life does rise out of the ashes. And how beautiful to plant this tree that will be a representation of physical life in a place where all of us kids have come in touch with eternal life. James' life was truly a planting of the Lord, a display of his splendor.


We paused for a moment of prayer, thanking God for the gift of nearly 16 years with James.


James' apple tree. The pine tree in the background was actually planted at camp in memory of Steve Sommerfeld, who died in a rock climbing accident.


The only logical place to put this tree was in a spot overlooking the lake. James would spend any moment he possibly could in the lake between swimming and boating classes. He loved to play pirates on the boats and I swear he had gills he loved the water so much!


All of us in front of James' tree.


Just spending some good family bonding time together. Our family has truly come to appreciate our times together as we know all too well that those moments are precious and numbered. I'm so thankful for my amazing family!


And our time remembering James would not be complete without a bacon cheeseburger! They were his favorites...especially the one pound burgers (mine was only 1/3 pound and that was enough for me!)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I AM PLEASED TO SEE THE LOVE YOU ALL GENERATE --GOD HAS TO BE SMILING AT THE SHARING AND SPECIAL CARE YOU HAVE TAKEN TO REMEMBER YOUR BROTHER, SON, GRANDSON! MUCH LOVE TO YOU ALL mk

Adrienne said...

Hey friend,
I loved all the pics and your heartfelt thoughts regarding your time with family celebrating James' life. I swear every time I eat a cheeseburger (which is as often as I can) I'll think of him and thank God he came into your lives. I pray that your Thanksgiving and Christmas are a sweet time of enjoying one another and remembering your handsome bro. Love you, always, Ade xoxox