Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Contemplation



This was the sunset outside my window this evening. It was absolutely stunning (and of course, much more beautiful in real life than in the picture) but I thought I'd post it cuz I'm a sucker for good sunsets.

Today in my Intercultural Communications class we were talking about intercultural conflict resolution and we watched a really powerful documentary on apartheid in South Africa and the process of the Truth and Reconciliation Commission with the trials of those requesting amnesty. I cried through most of the movie. It was a powerful example of the depravity of humankind and the great atrocities of which we are capable. Throughout the documentary it also talked about the power of sharing your story as person after person shared of the torture they experienced or afflicted on others during the apartheid rule.

Over the past few weeks I've also listened to some speaking about Rwanda, watched some of the Mideast peace talks on the news today and saw a movie and sat in on a discussion on Radical Islam and terrorism. I sit through all of these things and with the stories of many of my Afghan friends echoing in my mind and I can't help but think what a fallen world we live in. And it can be so easy to see the pendulum swing either way...either get hopeless and think nothing can be done until Jesus returns, or become radical activists shouting and screaming for a cause and maybe making change, maybe not. I think there definitely needs to be a balance of activism and complete and prayerful dependence on Jesus. We are not excused from caring for the poor, the oppressed and the needy but neither is it our sole responsibility to eradicate all the injustices of the world. But, ours is the ministry of reconciliation (2 Cor. 5:18-19) and ultimately reconciliation takes place through the cross of Jesus Christ. And oh how our world needs reconciliation. I have dear friends from Rwanda, from South Africa, from Kosovo, from Vietnam, from Somalia, from Afghanistan and Iraq, from Israel. These peoples' lives and stories are powerful testimonies to me of the grace and the love of God that rises above human atrocities and administers healing and the power of forgiveness. I hope that even by my times of asking and listening about others' stories, especially in Afghanistan, that I could be used as an instrument of reconciliation through Jesus Christ.

Coincidentally, I watched another documentary on apartheid this last weekend over the Thanksgiving break. It's called Amandla! A Revolution in Four-Part Harmony. It talks about the role of song in the fight for freedom. I definitely recommend it for those who are interested...and the music throughout is fantastic and moving. They share a lot of the meaning of the lyrics and how songs corresponded to the movements that were happening among the people.

So, I'm holding this all open before the Lord and letting Him speak to me. I always want to have a heart that is broken for the things that break God's heart and hands and feet willing to minister healing where God is reaching out to bring healing. There is always hope in the darkness and beauty truly does come from the ashes.

No comments: