Friday, March 14, 2008

Red River Gorge, Day 2



So, today I became a true rock star of the hiking world. Myself and another girl, Jenni, hiked about 10 miles along the aptly named trail called "The Rough Trail." This trail runs along the gorge but not just along the top of it but UP and DOWN in the gorge. INSANE! The hike started nicely following a little stream and then we hit the uphill climbs and the knee-killing descents. I would say we went up and down the gorge about 6-7 times. It was intense! Here are some pictures from our extravaganza:

This is called the Gray Arch. At the bottom there was a memorial dedicated to a guy that fell off the arch. Scary.


You can see how big the gorge area can be. Jenni is down at the bottom here. I felt so small throughout the entire hike. It was awesome!


Another self-portrait! But I'm not a narcissist!


Some sweet rock formations that I saw along the trail.


We had to cross this river four or five times. We had a combination of rock jumping, walking over logs and this crossing, there was nothing I could do but take off my shoes and walk. It was FREEZING!!!! I'm trying to smile here while Jenni too my picture but I don't think I could feel my toes by this time.


A pretty picture I took of the river. The entire gorge area was so beautiful. I took a ton of pictures along the way but pictures can never truly capture the breath-taking beauty when you are actually there. Hiking is something you can't just read about, you actually have to do it.


Here we are at the end of our ten mile hike, completely exhausted, but feeling like we had just conquered the world!

No comments: