Friday, August 15, 2008

Finishing up in Montana



Early Monday morning I'll fly out of Montana and back to Chicago. These last few weeks have been pretty busy and full. So full in fact, my inbox is full of unanswered emails and my blog is collecting virtual dust.

Two weekends ago my friend Kelly and I got ambitious and hiked 10.5 miles in Glacier National Park to see this beautiful, crystal clear mountain lake. We realized on the way back as our knees were pounding into the path that it was pretty much uphill the entire way to the lake. That's why we were so out of breath the entire time!

Last weekend I went with a few other TESOL students and went camping in Idaho. It's a beautiful drive there although our campsite was a bit close to the highway and near a gas station with some incredibly cranky women that worked there. So, it took away from the natural beauty of the area! However, we had a great time hanging out, laughing like crazy and enjoying nature.

In between hiking and camping I actually have been working like crazy to fulfill the requirements for TESOL certification. We taught a total of 26 hours. The practicum teaching was challenging but really enjoyable. I had the advanced level and really enjoyed interacting with the students. I've also realized that my teaching as well as my empathy for my students has changed since having to learn a second language myself. I understand the frustration of having a fully developed adult brain but only being able to communicate things like a child. It can be very frustrating. I miss my students already and hope to stay in touch with at least a few of them.

So, yesterday we had our Love Feast (a traditional event in most YWAM schools!) and we had our graduation today. I'll be staying through the weekend, resting a bit and then heading back to Chicago in order start grad school on the 27th of August. Whew! So, now I'm officially certified to teach English to second language speakers. It's been really great to put another tool in my belt. I really learned a lot especially in the area of assessment and being able to figure out where people are at in their language ability and to help them accordingly. I also learned how to teach grammar so it's not so dry and boring. This month has been a huge blessing and I'm looking forward to seeing how God will use it in the future.

1 comment:

dana said...

Congrats on finishing your TESOL, Sneaks! Love you!