Friday, January 29, 2010

Sorting through memories

It's amazing how the line between life and death is so thin. One can jump across it so fast. You lose a loved one in an instant. But, after that death, the changes come...some slowly, some hitting like a freight train.

This last week I have tackled the task of cleaning out my grandpa's office. We are going to transform it into a guest room as the first order of business in all that is ahead this year with my aunt and uncle coming back for a season and helping to get the house ready to sell.

I have to say, this office was my grandpa's lair. I was sorting and tossing things and realizing if he were alive, I never would have been allowed to do it. I felt mischievous in a weird sort of way. Like I was eating out of the cookie jar or sneaking money from his wallet. And I've realized, my grandpa hated to throw anything away. He'd replace things that needed replacing...like, let's say his wallet wore out after years of use, he'd buy a new one. But, I found all the old worn out ones in his desk. And he saved not only every bill and receipt over at least the last 15 years, but he didn't even throw away the envelopes the bills came in. Whew. It's been quite the task.

But, tomorrow some guys from the church are coming to take the desk and filing cabinets into the church. So, I had to get everything ready...I'm happy to show a piece of my work:



Here's the desk area that is clean not only on top, but inside and underneath. You literally could not see the top of this desk to begin with.

But, in the midst of throwing a lot of things away, I came across some real treasures as well. I had my share of tearful moments, remembering the legacy my grandpa left and the life that he lived. Here are a few things I found:


This photo is of my grandma and grandpa in their first year of marriage. What a good looking couple!


These are my grandpa and grandma's high school diplomas. My grandpa graduated from Gilbert High School in 1956 (I attended this same school while I was in Junior High), and my grandma graduated from Biwabik High School in 1960 (where I went for a short time in Elementary school).

And I also found my grandpa's senior yearbook:


He was quite the handsome guy!


And here my grandma signed my grandpa's yearbook, full of giddiness as you can see by her excitement about being the "future Mrs. Gene Potter." How cute!

My grandfather was by no means a perfect man, but he was one who provided for and cared for his family and loved so many people along the way. It's been a hard process to sort through his very personal room, but I'm thankful for the experience. I feel like I know him a bit better. And I still miss him as much as ever.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

That signature from your grandma is so precious; what a gift! I'll be praying for all of the transitions you are experiencing.
Emily Childs

augustine said...

thanks for sharing a bit about your grandfather

Kathy said...

Loved this, Danika! I, too, have been going through treasures like this lately: boxes of things that came from my step dad's that were my moms. To see her writing, read letters that were written to her, see what she thought was keep-worthy. Treasure! I love it. Blessings to you as you travel through your grief, remembering all the love! What a gift!

matts said...

I shed tears with you As i face the passing of my grand father now under two weeks and his house is now sorted and the memoreis to be rememberd another boutifal day.

thanks for sharing.

Matthew S.