Monday, July 25, 2011

Teaching and teaching prep

Yesterday I taught my first day of Exodus. The more I teach, the more I love teaching. I am quite the academic nerd in that I love the WHOLE process...I love studying. I love learning new information. I love when I come across facts that takes me to a deeper level of understanding about something. I love it when people ask challenging questions that make me dig deeper. I love studying current events and cultures and history and literature. sigh...I'm such a nerd. But it's who God made me so I will continue to be that.

I'm also very thankful that God took me on a non-traditional route of education. I could have studied and worked in a university (when I went to undergrad, my goal in studying English literature was to become a lit professor at a university!). But, I love that my academic passion has been an area that I've been able to used in the nations. I love that I got to work with training teachers in schools in Afghanistan....as a 25 year old young punk. I love that I'm getting to train future missional leaders in Taiwan as a 31 year old, not quite as young punk. I love that studying the Bible just doesn't bring about a head full of knowledge but it challenges the way I live, the way the students live, the way we see and know and love God.

Anyways, can you tell I love what I do?

When I was an SBS student I used to romanticize the studying/teaching prep process. I pictured the staff the few days before they are teaching sitting at a desk with a Bible open and God is just pouring out revelation on them, they are weeping and getting brilliant ideas for words to share in class.
Well, guess what I did the day before I taught?
Made cookie monster cupcakes:
I found the recipe online and I just couldn't resist! My small group got to enjoy these little guys....and it happened to be my dinner last night after I got done teaching too.

So, I thought I'd post a few photos from class yesterday so you can get a bit of a visual of what life in the classroom looks like. It's where a lot of my time is spent and each and every one of those people in that room has come to be so precious to me. I'm so proud of them as they put in very long hours to know God's word and to ultimately know God more. Please pray for them this week (and as you think of them through the middle of December) as they study through the Old Testament...some have never even read it before so this is going to be a deep and eye-opening season for them. Pray that they'd be following God's lead as to how to give out to others what they are receiving in this season. And pray for me as I finish out teaching tomorrow. Thanks for being a part of my journey!




(ha ha! Can you tell I have a common hand gesture when I teach?!)

No comments: