Monday, August 06, 2012

Hanging with the weeping prophet

In about 2.5 weeks I'm setting off to Thailand to teach the books of Jeremiah and Lamentations in their School of Biblical studies (I was able to buy my ticket thanks to some generous friends!). I taught the book last year  so it's been a good time to review and go a bit deeper into the book.

Some confession time: I am now a Bible teacher, but I have to admit for much of my Christian journey I've struggled with loving the Bible. I found it dry and bits of it pretty irrelevant to my daily life (how the heck do you get anything out of geneologies and lists of how to chop up meat in order to offer it as a sacrifice?!?). The book of Jeremiah was one that I never really gave a whole lot of attention to...maybe some parts like chapters 30-33 (also called the "book of hope"...one of the only parts of the book that takes a break from intense pronouncements of judgment to speak of restoration).

Actually spending time in God's word, putting the work in to wrestle with it, study it, meditate on it, process it and always, always inviting the Holy Spirit to give revelation has helped bring me to a place where I truly love God's word. I can't imagine how I was so apathetic towards it in the past. I know many of us struggle with it because this is one of the most frequent questions I hear from others...how do I study my Bible, how do I actually enjoy my time in the word? It takes work....and I'd start by asking God to give you a hunger for his word, and then putting in the discipline to get to know his word more. The more you know it, the more you'll love it. It's like a relationship with people. The more you get to know your friends, your significant others, the more you fall in love with who they are.

But I have such a delight and joy in the book of Jeremiah. I remember last year as I began to read and study it for the SBS here in Taiwan, God told me that he was going to challenge me very personally through this book, that he had something very significant for me.

I feel like this book brought life to me last year....and God really challenged me in the area of commitment, specifically in my commitment to the Afghan people, to dreaming God's dreams and not settling for my own, to being willing to count the cost and not just live life according to my own comfort.

....then he led me on a journey to India, allowed me to return to Central Asia and I am spending a whole year teaching his word, opening up opportunities for teaching nearly every week. And as I ponder what God spoke a year ago, I once again find him true to his word.

I have some upcoming news and plans God has laid on my heart. I asked my supporters to pray for me through this month and many have emailed back and given words God has laid on their hearts. Jeremiah's life is again challenging me to not just live a life without fear, without pain, without discomfort but to truly LIVE, to go for something that is bigger than myself, something to which God stepped into my life and offered an invitation. I'll be letting you know more in the next month, and inviting you to join me in this invitation....whether you come join me physically, help partner financially, partner prayerfully and grasping God's promises in the spiritual realm, or just making you aware of the things God is doing on the other side of the globe, I'm thankful to have others on this journey with me. Jeremiah had Baruch. And I'm thankful to have you! 

1 comment:

Adrienne said...

Looking forward to hearing what the Lord has in store for you! I will keep on praying. Right now I'm "enjoying" Deuteronomy. Actually, I love it and love the Old Testament. I feel like the characters, if you will, are all so real and flawed, therefore demonstrating more of God's strength and grace in them. Happy teaching, lady!