Wednesday, August 15, 2012

The Power of Food

35 Days.
35 days without sugar. 35 days without wheat. 35 days without dairy.

I finished my cleanse on Tuesday. My digestive system was a train wreck from all the international visitors that had taken up residence in my body. I did a parasite cleanse and a big part of that is ridding the body of sugars and yeasts (candida) because this is what parasites primarily feast on. This cleanse has also taught me, it's also primarily what most people feast on as well!

This has been a great exercise in discipline and eating healthy. But it wasn't easy. I've discovered truly how sugar is IN. EV. ERY. THING!! Not just deserts and ice cream and candy. But in sauces that we cook meat in, soups, chips, crackers, everywhere. You can hardly eat anything that isn't from a fresh food market that doesn't have a boat load of sugar. It makes me understand why it's so difficult to lose weight. Sugar is sneaking in and sneaking in all day, every day in most of our diets.

The fun thing about making a change in eating is the emotional issues that come with it. I'm willing to bet if you ask most women and they were to answer honestly, a lot of us have food issues connected to our emotional issues. (For an honest woman's writing about this, do check out my friend Adrienne's blog). For me, I realize I use food to fill my down time, to think while I study, as an excuse to get together with friends, for indulgence after a hard day.

So, after all this, I'm feeling much, much better. My stomach isn't embarrassing me in public with all its gurgling noises. And I've come to some conclusions after this:
  • eating healthy is worth the extra effort of planning, cooking for myself, and buying the right foods. 
  • I'm going to think about what I'm eating before I put it in my mouth. 
  • I don't need food to hang out with friends. 
  • It's okay to say no to something, even if everyone else is enjoying it. 
  • Fresh foods are the best foods....the outdoor vegetable market has become one of my favorite places. 
  • my body is worth taking care of, and it's not impossible. 
  • and I'm going to keep most dairy and most wheat out of my diet and try to stick to sugar primarily found naturally (fruits, stevia, agave, honey). 
And as an added bonus, I lost 10 pounds over the last 6 weeks and got a good start and motivation for my half-marathon training that I'm getting into right now. To reward myself for all of this, I bought new running clothes and enjoyed a banana, oatmeal, yogurt smoothie and a piece of dark chocolate! 

2 comments:

The Hungry Academic said...

Most of us are not willing to change our eating habits long enough to discover why we are eating what we do and to permanently change how we eat. Inspiring, dear.

Leslie said...

So did you follow a specific plan? I'm looking for something that is flexible enough to work around my weirdo insulin situation. Congrats, by the way, or reaching your goal!