Friday, October 05, 2012

Some thoughts on "team"


About a week ago I had a whole week of meetings with the group of people pictured above. One of the girls took this picture and posted it on facebook.....and it led me to thinking a bit nostalgically and reflectively at all the teams I've been able to be a part of over the years.

One of my organizations core values is functioning within teams. When you read that in a value statement it sounds ideal, perfect, "of course, we need each other, we are the body of Christ." Then you join a team, you lead a team, or you get "put" on a team and that's when reality sits in. You realize the people around you are different from you, that they may disagree with what you think are your own incredible ideas. Sometimes they fight with you, they tell you the things you are doing wrong. They confront you and call you out on your crap. Teams take work, effort.

But then teams are also there to be a sounding board. They have people on them who think differently than you and can help solve problems in ways you never would have dreamed of, they have multiplied man-power to accomplish things, they have giftings in areas you are weak. They lift you up when you feel you can't go on. They pray with you and for you. They let you cry, laugh, be opinionated, be shy, etc, etc, etc. Hopefully teams can become a family that supports each other and loves one another.

The above picture is my current team, a high quality group of individuals....we are all teachers (at least in this season of our lives) and all learning from one another. Each one of these people is doing amazing things and is amazing in and of themselves, my hope is that together as a team we can be even more effective.

So, in my reflections I was thinking about teams and especially some of my leaders in the past who have had great impact on me:

Covenant Park Bible Camp: Every summer I worked with a team of staff. I learned through these times how you can have so much fun it's ridiculous, and love Jesus so crazily that it changes peoples' lives. The camp director taught me a lot about leadership that is not afraid to confront...he called me out a few times in a way that really built me up, not tore me down. I learned the damaging effects of cliques but also how friendships that are knit that tightly can last a really long time (as many of them are still a part of my life today. One of the most important lessons I learned as a young leaders is that you can never over-communicate and that has been a value that's stuck with me since then.

Residence Life at Northwestern College: I worked as a Resident Assistant with a group of amazing women my first year and a co-ed group my second year. I learned sisterhood during this time, which was a big deal growing up with only brothers. I learned how to be really honest with a group of people. I learned about integrity and I learned a LOT from my first RA about "not blowing sunshine" and speaking openly about things that need to be brought into the light. I also learned that even though you may be really different from the people on your team, you can depend on them and build good trusting relationships with them. I learned how to be a better discipler from the women that I worked with.

Staffing in my current organization: I worked on a variety of short-term teams and staffing with different groups of people my first few years. It was then I began to recognize the leadership giftings that God had put in me and also the red flag of pride that could so often swell up in my heart. I was challenged on what it means to serve and lead at the same time. I worked with people that helped me dream bigger than my limited capabilities, who had faith that if God spoke, it was on him to make it happen and not just my energy that would bring things to pass. I learned how to lead when everything changes and you have to make decisions on the spot.

C.Asia: My team in C. Asia was the most "family-like" group I've ever been a part of, partly out of necessity, partly out of the environment we found ourselves in, but a lot because we chose to be there for each other in that way, and our hearts were truly for one another. These are people I still consider family today even though we are literally scattered around the globe (though all still pursuing the same heart and passion which we started out together as a team with). I learned on this team that relationship can be more important than task, that differences in leadership styles are good but require a lot of communication and give-and-take. I learned SO much about commitment and the results of the lack of it through these years. I grew in investing in a foundational value of prayer and seeking God in everything that I want to be a prominent value of any team I lead or am a part of in the future.

Taiwan: This season has looked so much different from my last one in C.Asia. But, I've grown a lot in this time...I've learned how to be on a team and not necessarily be the one in charge. I've also learned that even without a role or a position, you can be a person of influence. I've learned how to communicate with people VERY different from me in the way they think. I've learned more when to be quiet and when to step forward and speak my mind. I've learned how to be intentional because team doesn't just "happen" it's something we cultivate.

Teams are a blessing, and teams are also a lot of work. For all who have been a part of a team with me over the years, I'm so thankful for each person I've gotten to work with. I hope God will allow me to have such incredible people by my side working together and living life together in the years to come.


2 comments:

Adrienne said...

Love this and LOVE team! Love all your insight, what you gleaned, and what you continue to learn and apply, tweak and pour out, as you work on new teams, living, and loving, and learning. I still can't believe I got paid to be with all you girls! It was such a rich time in my life and I, too, look back frequently to reflect on what you all taught me and what I continue to learn having been a teammate my whole life. Thanks for sharing! (*FYI, I tried to comment on here the other day and it didn't work!!!!!) xoxox

Danika said...

Ade (and others)....
I set my comments to have to be moderated by me first so they don't get immediately posted. It's because I was getting quite a bit of spam comments and want to make sure what is put on here isn't going to be a security factor for anyone.

So, if you do publish a comment, rest assured, I'll just double check it and allow it to be posted. :)