Sunday, October 14, 2012

to better understand....


We live in such a multi-cultural, multi-religious society. As an American, I was taught from a young age that your religion, race, culture, politics, opinions are your own and it's rude to intrude on peoples' personal lives. However, in my travels and interactions with people from all over the world, I get into discussions about these things more than most small talk, which I admit, I quite enjoy.

One thing I've been wanting to do for awhile is read the Qur'an through, beginning to end. I've dragged my feet on it for awhile though because I wanted to have a more firm foundation in my own Holy Book (um....that would be the Bible for those that may just be stumbling on this blog) before delving too deeply into another.

So a friend and I are reading this together and meeting to discuss what we are discovering. I won't be posting much on here because the intent is not to engage in argument with others who believe differently, but my goal is to see why people believe the things they believe. And in a world that seems to be so divided between Muslim and Christian, I want to be a voice of helping bridge that gap and helping us find some common ground, respect for one another and at the same time not compromise what it is I stand for.

So, if you see me around reading this book, I'm not considering other options or doubting my faith in Jesus, but if God truly tells us to "make disciples of all nations" I want to have a better understanding of those nations. 

No comments: