Thursday, February 22, 2007

Is that you Betty Crocker?

Well, the week is winding down. It's been fairly eventful...a harrowing (but albeit, normal) taxi ride up from the capital, surprise visits from friends who heard I was back, days at the office and afternoons at home resting off my head cold. I've gotten to sit down and catch up with my teammates and local co-workers to hear how things have been going.

Coming back has been such a priviledge of getting reacquainted with the people and the culture. I loved being home but I felt that often times I was defending my calling, defending the people here, sometimes feeling like I was defending God himself (because let's not forget, He was the one who called me to be a part of what HE's doing in this place.) Once arriving here, no one was asking me "Why are you THERE? Isn't it dangerous?" And I know I have a huge support base at home and a cheering section and a wonderful group of people who pray for me and pray for the people here, but sometimes I get the feeling some people are just holding their breath, waiting for me to get through this phase and move on to the next, less dangerous, less crazy thing (like grad school!) All I would ask is that you don't hold your breath too long, because it could be a good long while.

Today I watched a movie called "Magdalene." Fantastic! It's the J. film but it's told from the perspective of Mary Magdalene and emphasizes our Savior's interaction with women and how he gave them dignity and restored their honor. So, it shows a lot of His teaching and tells the story of his life, but it pauses on the woman who was bleeding for 12 years, the woman at the well, the women who ministered beside the disciples, the woman caught in adultery, and of course, Mary Magdalene herself. For those of you in ministry to the same type of culture and religion I am I highly recommend getting a copy of it. It's not out in the local language yet, but will be soon. It will be a tool I will have plenty of opportunities to use.

Some other news I wanted to pass on to my loyal blog readers was my pride at baking yet another new thing from scratch! So far I've learned how to make pumpkin pie from scratch (like from the actual pumpkin, not from a can), bagels, pizza, biscotti, and the list goes on. Today I added TORTILLAS!!!! They looked just like the ones from the store except a little misshappen. I'm telling you, this whole experience has made me a lot more domestic! ha!

No comments: