Friday, September 07, 2007

Social Butterfly

Today we had a "retreat" for our department at a local park. It was a day designed to spend time getting to know the other students and faculty outside of the classroom environment. I have to admit I've been a bit overwhelmed at beginning the social process of meeting and getting to know people all over again, especially outside the context of community living! So, I had a great time today playing games and just chatting with people for more than the 10 minute break during classes. Although I did feel like a royal idiot when I was sharing about training teachers overseas with one of the professors and he asked what my educational background was in teaching and I said, "I don't have one." ha!

After the "retreat" I had a time doing a group project for a class of mine and then some of us went out for dinner and just shared about our lives, our stories, what God was teaching us. It honestly was the first day when I really felt connected to people here. I hope for more continued opportunities like these.

I feel overwhelmingly blessed at the things I'm learning. All my classes seem to be weaving themselves together into a lot of common themes and things that I've seen over my last two years or have had questions about. It's great to have a neutral enviroment to discuss and think and theorize. Tomorrow, you'll find me reading, and reading, and reading, and reading....I'm discovering that this is a major component of grad school!

No comments: