Friday, August 31, 2007

First Day of School!


So, I'm kind of a geek and I still take "first day of school" pictures. I think I look a little nervous in this one...and I was. I didn't eat all day I was so nervous. I'm so strange sometimes. But, I finished a few days of classes and will start a few more next week as well. One thing I'm finding that my nervousness about "intellectual spirituality" is not going to need to be a big worry of mine here. The professors and the department seem to encourage the "journey" more than the grade. And this is exactly what I am in need of...I think we are all in need of. Striving and achieving can be such a trap, especially when it comes to times when we are studying the Bible or other things related to our faith. I'm so glad I've waited 5 years after undergrad to go back to school and that I went to the field first before coming back because now I'm HUNGRY to learn. And I want to learn not just for the degree but to learn and apply what I'm learning directly to my situation overseas. For those of you rushing off to the next thing or racing to be on the field or get through school my encouragement is to slow down and to relish the experience, not just get to the next thing. Especially if you feel that God has called you to a specific thing or place and you feel like you just can't get there. Be patient...if God has called you, he'll bring you to that place. It's his plan in the first place, not yours. And there is a divine peace and joy in taking the steps as God leads them not as we push and strive and struggle through them.

Okay...so all that preaching to say, this is definitely where the Lord has called me for this season and I am eating it up! I think it was the first time in my school career that I was excited to get home and begin my homework! ha! Maybe after awhile I won't be so eager but I hope I still am. I want to soak up every drop that God has for this season.

Please pray for me...I'm looking for a job over these next few weeks. The cost of living overall is pretty expensive even after all I've done to cut back (renting a furnished place from a family, purposely not having a car and taking the train, being careful what I spend my money on, etc) so I'm needing to supplement my support. Pray that I'd find a place that works in my schedule, that I can get to easily not having a car and an enjoyable environment to meet new people. I am hoping to work off campus and hopefully with non-Christians. I enjoy having interaction with people outside the "church." They challenge me and I hope I can do the same.

Also pray for me as I begin fitting into a new community and new life yet again. I have such a turnover of relationships and it's always hard in the beginning starting to establish new friendships and a good, supportive community such as a Bible Study or church group. I can get easily discouraged and self-pitying and lonely. So, I want to be proactive in connecting with people and getting to know them.

Also, I've already heard of some Afghans in the area that I hope to connect with for the sake of language continuation and relationship building. Pray that I'd be able to balance that with everything else and God would open up doors to build friendships with Afghans here in the States.

1 comment:

Scott and Emily: said...

Congratulations, scholar!

Those look like a great set of classes... enjoy being filled (mentally and spiritually) every day :)