Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Knitting update

So, I realized that I never posted pictures of the "secret project" I referenced in an earlier post. So, here are the revealing pictures of my first attempt at lace knitting for my mother's Christmas gift:

This is the finished product as it is drying after being blocked. It took FOREVER to block it. This was also my first experience with blocking lace. It's tricky because it's so pliable. I used Feza Kid Mohair Yarn color #202 which was a varigated orange. I was initially skeptical about the pattern and the varigated coloring but it was subtle enough not to be too busy. I also loved all the colors so much because they really reflected my mom's love for the color orange.


The edges turned out beautiful and delicate looking. On each end the color worked such that the edge was all one color and different from the knitting to that point. This end the edging was the darkest orange and the other end finished with the lightest orange. I was ecstatic about that because you really can't plan those things...and the fact that it happened TWICE! very cool.



And here's my mom, the lovely model. So, this can be used as a scarf or a shawl or whatever she chooses. It's totally impractical for winter (although the mohair is surprisingly warm even though it's lace) but it turned out beautifully. Thanks again to Knitty for a great pattern!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

AMAZING!!! absolutely stunning! Hope you had a great spring break.