Monday, February 23, 2009

Ladies Taxi

Yesterday evening I arrived in Dubai. This city never ceases to amaze me on how cosmopolitan and globalized it looks and feels, and yet how much a part of the Middle East it is.

As I exited the airport to catch a taxi to my hotel (which by the way, had the HUGEST bed I've ever seen. Between that and the cold medicine I took, it was a delightful night's sleep) I was ushered off to the side to what they called the Ladies Taxi. What an amazing idea! The driver was a woman, she only drove women passengers (and families) and get this...instead of yellow and white the car was PINK and white!!! The woman wore a pink and white uniform (complete with a pink head covering). I wish this would catch on in Af! I would LOVE to avoid being hassled by men in a small space for a extended periods of time as he drives me across the city. Maybe I could open up a ladies taxi station in my city! ;)

And you know you're in the Muslim world when: there is a sign on the ceiling and on the wall indicating which direction mecca is in the hotel room.

Well, my flight leaves in less than an hour. I was just taking advantage of the free internet at the airport. My next update will be from AF!

No comments: