Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Home again!

I wish I could take video of all it takes to get to my home here in Asia. Yesterday I took a taxi drive up through the mountain pass that has banks of snow on either side of the road at least 10 feet tall in the deepest parts. There are these huge trucks that are painted so brightly with tassles and jingling things hanging off of them. They don't seem to fare well over the pass so every so often there would be one stuck in the middle of the road, or the tunnel. In front of one I even saw a small fire going and a bunch of guys gathered around warming their hands and chatting while the hood of truck stood gaping open and traffic passed by around them.

I got up to my house last night and was so warmly welcomed by my team and the short-term teams we have here. They made pizza and cake for my birthday! amazing! I got the biggest hugs and hugest smiles from my Afghan friends. It's times like these that I realize how much I love being here and what's truly important here.

Then I went home to my room and also realized how much work I have ahead of me as I glanced at my pink and purple walls in desperate need of paint, my curtain-less windows which I draped a sheet across and an empty room that needs a bit of a domestic touch to feel like it's my sanctuary. The cable for electricity for our street also blew out last night. It is being worked on as we speak so I am using a friend's computer at our other house. The realities of life here. So, no shower today...maybe tomorrow, maybe not. And I hope to at least get some new carpet today for my room. We'll see how it all goes.

1 comment:

Adrienne said...

Showers are optional at my house, too! :) Glad you are home. You and the beautiful people around you are in my prayers. xoxox