Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Greetings from Tajikistan!!


Well, after a series of many, many miracles I made it to Tajikistan with another teammate of mine. It's a long story but we didn't have tickets the day we were supposed to leave. So, we decided just to go to the airport and to see what would happen. The day before we called the airline and they said the flight was already overbooked. But, we got a seat on the plane and here we are!!

It's been so nice to have a bit of freedom...as you can see I'm not wearing my headscarf nor am I wearing clothes that cover my bottom, other than my jeans! :) It's great. They speak mainly Russian here in the city so I'm a bit out of it communication-wise but most people also speak Tajik as well. Dari is closely related to Tajik so I can communicate and get around, although this usually comes after I explain that I cannot understand Russian and can you please repeat what you just said in Tajik?!

We've been meeting with people all week and speaking with local groups and recruiting students for an upcoming school we are having. The doors are really open and much has been happening.

While we are not doing that, I've also gotten opportunities to do a bit of shopping, get a haircut, go to a restaurant and even do a little bit of dancing! These things are absolute luxuries for me. Amazing what little bit of freedom can be found just on the other side of a border! :)

No comments: