Sunday, November 12, 2006

What's in a life?



What can I tell you about my amazing brother James? He had the most gentle heart I think I've ever seen in a boy his age. He was the perfect mix of "becoming a young man" and still retained his child-like innocence. He loved to play with toy cars in the yard, even at 15! And yet he had a girlfriend and had thoughts and opinions on politics and world events. He could entertain himself for hours and yet could get along with pretty much anyone. At times he drove me crazy, at times he probably rolled his eyes at his crazy older sister. I miss him like crazy. I just wanted you all to know what kind of a person my brother was, and still is in my heart where I will hold his memory forever.

He had a blossoming and growing relationship with Jesus. My favorite treasure from him was a letter that he wrote and gave me before I headed overseas a year and a half ago. I had gotten good-bye cards and well-wishes from so many people but I opened his before I headed off on the airplane. He had included a Bible verse, simple and yet full of truth, just for me to take with me. I sobbed when I read it.

There is a definite "space" in my family without James. It's a space we will run into every day and hopefully the pain will fade as we enounter that space. Until then I will fill that space with lovely memories of him and the peace of knowing that he is in his true home, that his heart is truly at rest and he will be waiting to welcome the rest of us when our numbered days come to an end.

James' obituary

2 comments:

Adrienne said...

Danika, you and your family are in my prayers. James sounded like a mighty young man of God, firmly rooted beyond his years. I can't even begin to imagine what you are feeling, my friend, but I hope and pray that the prayers and encouragement of so many is nurturing to your soul. Comfort. Rest. Peace. Love, Ade xoxox

Anonymous said...

Dear Danika, we are missing you and Jimmy! He will forever be Jimmy to us as we remember the darling little boy who looked so much like Jeremy when he was little and blondish and those wonderful cowlicks! A year ago summer when he and Billy would come over to the lake house and play cards, eat, and goof around with Jon-Erik, we had a chance to know the young man he was becoming and we loved him for his gentle spirit and loving heart! Jet is having a hard time losing a friend too. Jimmy's life touched so many!
We love you Danika and are keeping you in prayer along with your family. Love always, Karen, Pastor Tom, Britta & Jet