Sunday, November 05, 2006

On my way home....

It's shocking how one moment in your life can change it forever. It's amazing how one event, one person can affect people around the entire world.

Just a few days ago while I was in Tajikistan I received information that my second youngest brother, James (or Jimmy to some) was in an accident and is no longer with us. My heart is broken and I miss my brother so very, very much. He had one of the most gentle hearts I had ever seen in a boy his age and I had so many dreams of what an amazing man he would grow to be.

However, he is with Jesus now and our family is mourning his loss.

Currently I'm in the Amsterdam airport and just about to set off on the last leg of my journey home. I'm about to experience "home" as I've never experienced it before, minus a dear brother that I love with all my heart. It's times like these that you realize what is really important in life and all else fades away. I'm looking forward to being with my family. These last few days have been so difficult grieving on the other side of the globe from them. My team is like a second family to me and they have been amazing in bringing comfort and praying with me. However, I cannot wait to embrace my family here in America and weep with them and remember James together with them.

Please pray for me as I not only go through this time of grieving with my family but as I am re-entering my culture so abruptly and having to go through some massive loads of reverse-culture shock at the same time. I walked past a shop today that was all decorated for Christmas and I just stopped and stared (and almost fell over when I glanced down at the box of chocolates in front of me that were priced at $80!). I haven't seen Christmas decorations for a few years! Back to the 1st world, to individualism and equality among men and women. Back to luxury and entertainment and way, way too many choices.

No comments: