Saturday, December 16, 2006

Ode to the airport

You know, I actually really enjoy the airport.
You would think after all the time I've had to spend in this self-contained limbo you would think that I'd hate the airport. But, I seriously enjoy it. I think I just love it that even though we are all here with separate passports we are all experiencing the same culture together. And it feels kind of like an exclusive club. You pay your fees and you get to walk through into the member's only area (aka "ticketed passengers"). It's the one place in the world where you can whip your belt off in public and no one thinks twice about it.

Today I sat down and finished my Seattles Best coffee (ah, I love America) just across from the door where you can greet people getting off their plane. I absolutely love that place...watching little kids scream out "daddy!!" and run and unabandondly jump into their father's arms, couples kissing after a long, or short, time apart, moms with 3 different spiderman backpacks hanging off their arms while dad and the boys are taking care of business in the men's room. I love it that people will dress in stalletto heels and faux fur jackets and sit next to the girl who looks like she rolled out of bed right into the plane in her sweatpants and a hoodie.

And, have you ever noticed that the people who work in the security area, especially around the holidays, are like super, super, super, SUPER happy. It's like they had 3 coffees and are chewing on candy canes all day. The guy today stamped my boarding pass like three times he was so excited about it. Maybe it's a ploy to distract us from the stress of security checks. Seriously, some day we are all going to have to strip down to our underwear to go through those and we'll probably only be able to carry our passport through. That will be a fun day.

Well, now after being in 9 countries and in through 6 different US states in the last month and a half, I'm headed back to "home" to spend the holidays with the family. My time in Colorado and Montana (and Wyoming for a night) was absolutely fantabulous and my soul feels much refreshed. I'm seriously amazed at the friends and family that God has placed in my life. If every girl could be so lucky.

1 comment:

The Hungry Academic said...

And we are all lucky to have a girl like you as part of our family! Love you..safe travels, honey. Mom