Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Adventures to Kansas City

About a month ago I stumbled onto the website of Megabus and found they had cheap tickets down to Kansas City. As I have been wanting to visit my friend Dana, check out IHOP (International House of PRAYER...not pancakes) and I was at about my 5 month limit of sitting still in one place I bought a ticket and scheduled a trip.

My adventure began before it even started.

I had a friend drop me off at the downtown location to catch the bus in Chicago. When I spotted what I assumed was my bus I waved goodbye and stood in line. By the time she was out of sight, I found out the bus was headed to Toledo, OH so waited for my bus, and waited, and waited, and WAITED. There were about 10 others with me and by about 1:30am I'm thinking "this bus is NOT coming" (it was scheduled to leave at midnight). Finally after much hassle from a group of drunk guys on the street asking for money we got ahold of the bus company who said the driver reported in saying she picked up all the passengers and left. I have no idea which passengers she picked up as the group of us clearly were not on the bus. So, I debated asking a couple of the passengers who were students at North Park if I could crash on their floor but ended up calling my friend back, who is thankfully a night owl. She jumped in her car and headed back downtown (with hot tea and chalupas from Taco Bell, might I add...who shouldn't have friends like this!) while I sat and warmed up in one of the bus passenger's Jaguar listening to high energy Gospel music. I couldn't help but feel oddly at home in the frenzy of canceled plans, inept transportation systems, the kindness of strangers and the adventure of the unexpected. I never thought Central Asia could find its way back to me so fast.

I was able to catch the next bus in the morning, catching about 2.5 hours of sleep on my friend's couch. I met some interesting people on the bus...a girl from Denmark traveling around the US since June (don't people go to Europe to do that?!), a really good-looking actor sat in the seat with me and we chatted it up much of the way. I nearly forgot my nervousness around men! ;) And behind me were a couple of girls chatting about their experience in a DTS in New Zealand. We bonded over shared interests!

I met my friend Dana and we spent much time catching up on our eventful 2.5 years that have passed since we last saw each other face-to-face. At that time she was not yet married and I was just on the verge of moving overseas. There was much to talk about. And as my world includes suitcases and other people's couches and hers includes a husband and remodeling a bathroom...it's amazing no matter which paths your life may lead you on, there are some friends who when your paths cross, it's nearly like you never left. That's my friendship with Dana. I'm so thankful to have friends willing to pick up like that! It makes the distance a little easier.

We spent time shopping, eating middle eastern food and visiting the Plaza in downtown Kansas City. Here's a few pics:




Sunday I made my way over to IHOP and spent 6 wonderful hours in their prayer room (IHOP has a 24/7 prayer room which leads people in intercession and worship as well as providing opportunities for prophetic prayer, prayer for healing and various kinds of intercessory prayer). It was so good just to soak in the presence of God, bring before him some things weighing on my heart and be back in the Spirit-led, charismatic worship that I've missed so much these last few months. During this time I also heard about the tragic shootings of the YWAM group in Denver and the New Life Church in Colorado Springs (by the way, I don't know any of the victims but I do know the YWAM and church community is pretty shaken by what happened. I have friends that were either on the scene or narrowly missed it. Please continue to pray for those who experienced this and for the victims' and the gunman's grieving families and friends).

My journey back to Chicago was thankfully uneventful. Although I have to mention a quote that I overheard while we stopped at McDonald's on the way:

"Wow! You guys are busier than a cat in a litter box in here!"
(a patron to a McDonald's employee)


(and I'm beginning to understand these are the treasures of life we would miss if people didn't blog! ha!)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so grateful that you are a blogger. It has been a joy to read your words and see your pictures from here and there. I also find comfort sharing in your grief. You have your mother's ability to speak (write) clearly and with intelligence. Thanks Danika. By the way, I've started picking up pennies. ;-)

dana said...

I'm so thankful for you! What a blessing to have those people who go waaay back with you. And better yet, you even get life on the Range even though we didn't know each other then. It's like we've known each other forever! Blessings to you, Sneaks!