Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Spring picnic

In a world lived behind walls, under a veil and hiding from the darting eyes of the crowd, freedom is something that can be a rare experience. A woman's life is all about hiding, not standing out. But then Friday rolls around and the entire city bursts out of the walls into their cars and taxis and drives away from the city to enjoy the beauty of the rugged landscape. The time is limited...if you don't go now the scorching summer sun will beat you there, rendering the landscape brown and you wasted by the heat.

But springtime means hills are green, the weather is cooler and people are ready to get out after having tons of relatives staying for the new year.

So, this last weekend, me, some teammates and my staff headed out to the green hills in the shadow of the craggy mountains. We were in an area that was heavily trafficked by fighting about 8 years ago. Now, thankfully, the mines have been cleared and the tanks have rolled out, leaving just overgrown memories of tragic days.

I love days like these, when I have the freedom to be outside the wall, without staring eyes, the sun shining down (not beating down) and the wind blowing. I can let my scarf slip a little to my shoulders and I can race my teammates up the foothills and toss a frisbee around and play soccer to my hearts content. I was so at peace. I wish I could get out like this more often. I also wish I would not have taken my time in Colorado so much for granted and gotten out hiking and skiing more. So, I hiked until my calves were stiff and ran around until I was out of breath and took advantage of the beauty of a day of freedom, out in the hills.


Riding donkeys


The beautiful scenery


The ladies

No comments: