Wednesday, August 01, 2007

The "Gilmore Girls" trip begins!!





So, yesterday three generations of the Potter women piled into a car and headed out on a trip from Minnesota to Ohio. Now, for any of you familiar with my family, in particular the women of my family, you will know that we all have very strong personalities and strong personalities in an enclosed space can create chaos over time!

We pulled out of Minnesota early in the morning, blurry-eyed but coffee cups in hand. Around lunch time we stopped to have lunch on the south shore of Lake Superior in the U.P. of Michigan. We walked back to the car only to discover....we had a FLAT TIRE!!!



So, we changed the tire and put on the spare...only to find that it was flat too!! But, we eventually had a nice guy named Steve who was on his way back from a classic motorcycle show in Ohio that helped us by driving me and the tire to an auto-repair shop. A quick patch and we were back on the road.



This is a picture of the Mackinac Bridge that connects the lower part of Michigan to the upper peninsula. It was an absolutely beautiful day for a road trip...although our planned 11 hour day turned into 16 hours with our little delay!

So, this week we are in Hudson Ohio for the Concerned Christians for Afghanistan conference. We'll see how this week unfolds. I'm hoping to connect with others who are working in Afghanistan and interested in the country. And personally I'm just excited to be around people who don't know Afghanistan just by what they see on the news. I love being able to share with people what is happening over there who have never been there, but I'm glad to be in an atmosphere of people who really have a passion and a heart for that place and when I say that I'm working in Afghanistan I don't have to spend the next half hour defending why I'm there or listening to all the reasons why the person I'm talking to "could NEVER do that. You're SO brave!"

No comments: